Monday, August 8, 2011

Finally, a new post!

     So I have obviously been neglecting my blog, and I hate it. I am hoping that I can give a quick update on what I have been doing this past month so I don't have to play catch up anymore!
    What took up a majority of my time this summer was my 2 online graduate school classes. I took a Theories of Counseling class and a Lifespan Development class. I really enjoyed my Lifespan class, but the amount of work and reading each week was pretty overwhelming. Taking classes online requires a lot of self discipline and time management, and lets just say I had a whole lot of late nights. It was nice to be able to work while I took classes but I am also really looking forward to being in the classroom in the fall for my next classes. 
    Speaking of work, I was so blessed to have a job this summer. I have worked at the same camp for 4 summers now and I love it. I work with 4 year old's at a summer camp at Schiff Preschool. Yes, it is at a syangouge; No, I am not Jewish. We don't teach anything religious during the summer, although most of the kids and teachers are Jewish. My mom and I got the job through one of her friends and I really can not complain about a Monday thru Friday job that goes from 9-2. I had so many questions about Judaism and the Jewish Culture and I was not afraid to ask them. I can't imagine my life without Jesus and it really broke my heart to be around so many people who don't know him. What is so crazy is that although they don't know him, he loves them so much he gave his life for them. How great is our God?  
    What I found difficult was being around the young kids who were just born into their beliefs. I genuinely cared for so many of the kids and teachers I worked with and I pray that one day they come to know Jesus and fall in love with him and that he transforms their life like he did mine. Compared to all the other summers I have worked at Schiff, this was by far my favorite. The teachers I worked with, the counselors, and the kids stole my heart. I am going to introduce you to a few of them. 
On the left is Henry. Henry stole the show this summer. He is a high voiced, loveable, out going little boy from "new jewsseyy" who loves to have his hands in his pants. On the right is Emily. She just moved here from Korea and barely spoke any English when she first got to camp. It was really cool to watch her interact with the other kids and how she would follow whatever her peers did in order to blend in. The cutest thing she did this summer: the first time I asked to take a picture of her, she held up a peace sign. You can see her holding it by her side in this picture. I think she started to notice that not everyone does that for every picture taken. 
 Like I said, Henry loves his hands in his pants. Gotta love him. 
   Some of the girls with their cat face paint!
My love, Henry!
These are a few of the people I worked with this summer that made it such an enjoyable, awesome summer! 

    So school and work consumed a large part of my summer, but stay tuned for more highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment