Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Start of Something New

    So my weekend started out on Friday with my interview for graduate school at 1:00. I was a bundle of nerves, considering it was my first interview ever. I was the first candidate, and I sat down with two of the professors in the program. I figured it was going to be the typical interview questions (what are you strengths ,what are your weaknesses etc.) but no, they were tough! Here is an example of one of the questions I got asked:


   Respond to the following statement: I can explain how factors such as poverty, powerlessness, privilege and systemic oppression have influenced the current conditions of at least two ethic or identity groups. 


  I sure hope I pretended what I was talking about well enough.. Then from 5-8 we had a counselor education pre-admission seminar. It started with a meet and greet and dinner (vegetables and a packet of M&M's, yes I was disappointed) and then we broke up into concentrations. We sat in a circle and discussed different counseling topics, which wasn't bad at all. We went over course scheduling and that was about it. They say it shouldn't take more than a week to find out if we got accepted or not. Fingers crossed!
First interview!

      On Saturday, we had our end of the year banquet. We had it at R.J.'s Steakhouse, which was pretty cool for Sarah and I because that was where our very first banquet was in Summer '07 with Coach Nicole McCray. Sarah and I came in with 8 freshman, and from that class only 2 of us survived all 4 years. So it was definitely a special day for us. Coach had some really nice things to say about us seniors. The banquet was really well put together, with yummy food, good pictures, and most importantly, our SOCON Championship Rings! We have all been waiting impatiently since November to receive them, so was the absolute high light of the day!

All of us sporting our new bling. 

Mom and Dad came down for the banquet

Sarah and I with our SOCON Rings and our Scholar Athlete Rings( Student Athletes that graduate with above a 3.0 get these) So proud!

With Coach Chad 

    Saturday night my parents and I went to the Statesboro Rodeo at the Fair Grounds. It was so so fun, and such good people watching I might add. Deep down inside, I want to be a true country girl, so I was taking notes. The night was full of laughter and windy- dirt in the face, so I loved it. 
We ran into Brittany and the Brennan's, so I got to ask my dumb rodeo questions to the true country folks 


Mom and I with the Steers, and my all time favorite cowgirl boots

     This morning we went to Statesboro High School because Connection Church moved locations in order to seat everyone at one time. It was so incredible. I loved being able to see everyone all together to worship. Brandon rocked it like always. After was a pot luck which I love love love. Connection Church really has the family feel to it and I look forward to every Sunday.I am so lucky to have found a church that means so much to me. It has been such a good weekend with my parents ( although they got their car towed for parking in the wrong spot in my apartment complex, oops) and I am really trying to cherish every last undergrad moment because time is flying. Unfortunately, I still have plenty of work to do tonight. This blog really is going to become a fun distraction though :)  

1 comment: